Thursday, June 17, 2010

What To Do With All That Squash................


Weekends always entail extra chores up here on the mountain, which means we like to start our day off with a hearty breakfast. I'm a firm believer in "nutritional punch." When my kids were small, I always did my best to sneak in things with extra goodness. (My daughter never fell for it.)

And with summer fast approaching, we ask ourselves, "what will we do with all this squash?" I found a new outlet for it.................

Add it to some fried potatoes! YUMMO

Here's my basic formula:

3 to 4 medium sized potatoes sliced up fairly thin
1 whole onion chopped (sweet or purple works)
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 chopped cloves of garlic
some fresh parsley from your garden or dried is fine (adds nice color)
a few fresh finely chopped basil leaves if you'd like (totally optional)
1 or 2 chopped zucchini (AKA squash)
and toss in some fresh snipped chives, too

Put a good dose of olive oil to cover entire bottom of fry pan

Add all the ingredients, place a lid on top to help cook things and stir frequently.
Cook until the veggies are nice and done and browned to perfection.

My guys have made this side dish mandatory every weekend now. Add some eggs and buttermilk pancakes and you'll probably be able to skip lunch!!!

And even with all those weekend chores, do something just for yourself - like knitting!

No comments: