Thursday, May 2, 2013

Could We Really Have an Early Spring?


Living at an elevation of about 4,500 feet in the California mountains can be a gardener's nightmare.  The locals all say never to start your garden until Memorial Day.  But, this winter and spring have been so different than the last 5 years that we've been here.  The weather is unusally warm and winter had very little snow.  So, yes, I'm tempting fate and have started planting. 

The peach tree above has more peaches than ever before.


The apples also are plentiful.


Even the pear tree is making me smile with delight!


And the two bareroot nectarine trees that we planted last year have fruit.


And if your son doesn't get carried away with his weedeating, you'll be blessed with an abundance of California Poppies.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

God luck with your gardening. I have almost the opposite problem, that I'm having to pull out some of my lettuce already since it's gotten so hot that it's going to seed. Time of the tomatoes, I guess!

Caffeine Girl said...

Your spring is about as slow as ours this year -- maybe slower!

Thanks for the photo of the California poppy. I love those things!