Thursday, July 15, 2010

Teddy Bear on Guard



Why is it when you think you've come up with a brilliant solution to a nagging problem, that there's always someone out there who thinks you're nuts? Do you know how many scarecrows I've seen in the fields up here now? And are there any less squirrels amongst the apple orchards? HELLO - exactly! These little varmits aren't stupid. If they've seen one scarecrow, they've seen 'em all.

It's watch dogs that they're afraid of. Of course, that would mean that you'd have to have a watch dog that is awake, walking fence lines and generally on the ball - not one that seems to snooze the day away on the front porch while flys buzz around his face.

So, I decided to hit the thrift stores this morning in search of a scary looking stuffed animal - preferrably a dog. I managed to find one teddy bear dressed in winter attire. I asked Rick, "does he look scary enough?" One of the employees was standing within earshot and looked at me rather funny and felt obliged to ask, "do you want to scare kids with a stuffed animal?"

I'm a grandmother for heaven sakes! "No, I don't want to scare kids, I WANT to scare squirrels!" With that, she marked the price tag down to one dollar - no doubt to get me out of the store as quickly as possible.

I placed him under the tree and kept watch throughout the day. When my husband got home, I had him move the bear to a different tree - gotta try and confuse the little buggars, right? So far, not one squirrel has ventured into the yard and left with a green apple in his little mouth.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

No comments: