Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Buttermilk Pie

Have you ever had Buttermilk Pie or even heard of it? It reminds me of something truly from the heartland of America. I found this recipe ages ago in the newspaper and clipped it out and made it. My husband and son loved it. I placed the recipe in my drawer and forgot about it and decided it was time to make another one yesterday.



I have a slower oven, so the baking time for me was a good hour to get it browned up and set in the middle.



Here's the recipe if you'd like to try it:

1 stick melted butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 beaten eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 unbaked 9 inch deep-dish pie crust

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk until nice and smooth.

Pour mixture into unbaked pie crust and bake anywhere from 45 - 60 minutes OR until it's nice and golden brown and set in the middle. Place a cake tester in the center to make sure it comes out clean.

Cool and then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Hope you enjoy it!

8 comments:

Heather J said...

Wow I have heard of it but never seen it made up Awesome! Does it need a side with it or wonderful as it is?Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Tracey ~ Clover said...

I have heard of it, but never eaten it. Guess that is going to change because I am now going to have to whip this baby up. It looks really good.
Warmly,
Tracey

Caffeine Girl said...

That looks so delicious. Very much comfort food. It sounds like an old-fashioned recipe. Do you know if it is?

Moe said...

Thank you for the recipe.The little village I used to live in is home of The Williamsford Pie Company & Buttermilk Pie is one of their best sellers.This is also the home of Koigu Yarn
Not sure of the origin of this recipe but us Canadians love it too.

Knittingdancer on Ravelry said...

My mother made these all the time. My nephews & everybody else in the family loves them. I personally don't care for them. I loved the homemade chocolate pies she made.

Flutterby Patch said...

Can I invite myself to tea? That pie looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for popping over to my blog today. Just had a quick read of your 'About Us' and was taken back to my childhood when I saw that you have a vintage circular sock machine. My mum and dad had just the same although I never saw any socks coming off it. Wish it was still around as it looked to be a great little machine.

Sue said...

I don't usually eat a lot of sweets but lately I can't keep from them. I really want to make this. Yummy!

Lowell Lane said...

Oh my, that looks scrumptious!

My friend gave me a new book this week about pie making southern style. One of the recipes was for a vinegar pie. I just cannot imagine. What do you want to bet it's one of the first recipes I try?

Laura