Thursday, July 11, 2013

Do I Have a Recipe for You...............


I receive update emails from Grit magazine and yesterday this absolutely wonderful recipe was included.  It's called "Best Zucchini Bread Ever" by Meg with Modern Roots.  Of course I had to try it and was not disappointed.  I've tried other recipes and found them really bland, flat and green!  This one is more like a spice loaf and I gave my husband a very small piece (since he's pre-diabetic) and his first comment was "this is marvelous!"  Next time I may add some raisins and pecans.

Here goes:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
1 Tbl lemon juice (I didn't have any lemons and the loaf was still wonderful)
1 tsp vanilla
6 Tbl melted butter

This recipe is so good that you might want to double it and make two loaves!

Combine dry ingredients, mix and set aside.  Combine wet ingredients in separate bowl, mix.  Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.  Dip a paper towel into butter and wipe down the sides of a 5 x 9 loaf pan.  (I just used Pam spray)  Sprinkle flour into the pan and seal all sides, get rid of excess flour. 

Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into middle ALMOST comes out clean.  You will have a little residue on the knife.  If it comes out completely clean, it won't be as moist.  Cool for 10 minutes, take out of pan and cool.

Let me know what you think!!!

No comments: