Friday, October 28, 2011

Sock Time.............

It's always sock time around here.  But, at this time of year, Doris is really cranking 'em out!  Who's Doris, some of you ask?  She's our antique sock machine!  Yesterday her and I made 4 socks and today our goal is 6!  Can you imagine trying to hand knit that many even in a week?


It's always fun to see how the yarn will work up.  I never intentionally try to match up the color sequence.  Sometimes it does, but that's really a fluke!  I prefer to just let the yarn have a mind of its own.  That also makes each pair so unique and truly one of a kind.


All the socks get a good hand washing and then are blocked before adding them to our Etsy shop.  They always look so nice after going through this process.  Blocking can really make a difference with hand knits.

Years ago I had a customer in my shop that was having trouble with a front button band on her vest that was refusing to lay flat.  She said that she had tried everything.  So, I recommended some serious blocking.  Really serious.  Wet it, pin it, allow it to dry and repeat the process until it laid flat.  A week later she came back and was shocked that it had worked!  Blocking is a good thing!

I think Monday might be a good day to have another little giveaway, so I hope that you'll check back then to see what we have in mind!  Have a great weekend.

6 comments:

Tracey ~ Clover said...

I need a Doris in my home! I am slowing knitting socks on dpn's and will be thankful if I can do 6 pair by Christmas!
xx

Anke said...

I wish you lived closer to me so you could show me how to get started with the sock knitting machine. Mine was a Christmas gift two years ago and I have yet to use it...

Heather J said...

Those socks are great! I love blocking it really helps.

Herie7 said...

I totally agree about blocking until I got my wires I didn't think it was very necessary. After blocking my first scarf I am completely sold on the concept.

yarner said...

I wish I had a Doris at home! It would be great to be able to make socks so fast. You should post a video of Doris in action on here one day.

Anonymous said...

my mom has one of those sock thingies, and she doesnt even use it, wish I could have it. I just learned knit on 2 circs, so I am gonna give socks a try that way. I did mittens and a hat allready, it is fun
marlib7 on ravelry
laurie