Friday, December 10, 2010

Tax Day

Yesterday was a no knitting day because I had to ride down to Bakersfield with my husband. We prefer to pay our property taxes in person and have that little receipt in hand. It isn't that I don't trust the postal service, but it always seems like the really important items get lost in the mail - like last month's house payment! San Diego (for the house payment) is just too far to deliver it in person, but Bakersfield is a 50 minute drive down the mountain.

If I begin to rant about this town that I always refer to as the "pit", it's for good reason. I lived there for 35 very long years and probably sang the words, "I gotta get out of this place, if it's the last thing I ever do" each and every day. Oh, my poor husband! And yesterday just confirmed all those feelings. The amount of traffic is totally ridiculous, the crime rate is downright scary and the poor air quality is like in the top 10 for the nation. Other than that, I'm sure it's a fine place to live!

On on our way out of town I commented that I could never work for Bakersfield's Chamber of Commerce. My husband added that I'd be fired within an hour!

Needless to say, my spirits lifted as we headed east and up the mountain.





As you first start the climb up, the hillsides are filled with many varieties of oak trees and dotted with small ranches. The scenery begins to relax you and you can feel your blood pressure returning to sustainable levels.

Today will be a knitting day for sure. I've got to get back to Mitchell's green monster that he wants me to knit and a pair of socks need to be cranked out on Doris. So, I better get to it before this day gets away from me.

Have you remembered to leave a comment on the post, "December Sock Giveway?"

Til next time.................

1 comment:

Sue said...

When I have to send things and want to know for sure they have arrived I fill out a form, don't know what it is called, at the post office and send a card back that someone has to sign stating that the envelope has arrived. I like that. It has eased my mind on several occasions.
If I had the view you have I would not want to leave my home ever, especially to go to a place like Bakersfield.