Saturday, August 20, 2011

What, no power?


Living off the grid is almost always filled with a glitch of some kind. Wednesday we woke up at 5:30 to find our entire system was down. I kept telling me husband, "at least it isn't the dead of winter!" That still didn't make him feel any better.

We ran out to the pump house and checked the generator first. We noticed that the radiator was wet on the front. Hmmmmmmm Upon a closer inspection, my husband saw that the fan belt had broken. Fortunately, he had a spare and was able to replace it. The only thing he didn't have was a jug of coolant, but Auto Zone would be open at 8.

This Italian generator is huge and quite complicated and eventually there will be some things that my husband just won't be able to fix. Until then, let's hope that the glitches are small and manageable.

In the photo you can see the 3 extension sections that my husband added to the exhaust pipe. When the pump house was built, they didn't plan on proper ventilation for the exhaust and the generator has been coughing and sputtering on its own exhaust fumes - not to mention it clogs the air filter. This sure solved that problem.


On a lighter note, I thought you'd enjoy seeing these brightly colored socks that just came off Doris. The color is called rainbow sherbert and the yarn is from Pagewood Farm. That little bit of added bamboo sure makes them shiny and soft.


Hope you're all having a wonderful weekend and thanks so much for your comments. I enjoy them so much and feel like you're all dear friends.




2 comments:

Tracey said...

I do love a handy husband! I don't think I have ever had to call a repair person to fix anything. Hope the generator last for a long time!
And the socks are pretty too. Doris does good work! :)

Willow said...

Love those cheery socks!

I popped over here from Caroline's blog to say hi--I was intrigued by your name--Knitting off the Grid.